Shared library and executable using it in the same source pkg

Hi,

I'm working on a new version of the Postgres95 package. Having been for
three months with hardly any Internet access, I'm now catching up with all
the new features in dpkg [and the bug reports... :)].

I have this problem: there is a shared library (libpq.so.1) and
some executables using it in the same source package. A normal build can't
assemble things properly, because ld.so doesn't know yet about the
library; therefore ldd fails to find it, when running dpkg-shlibdeps
on the executables.

This may be worked around by installing the library package after having
built it, but this is a hack; I'm confident that there is a cleaner way of
handling this situation.

Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks,

/___