Re: Glibc Packaging Issues

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, David Engel wrote:

> Bernd Eckenfels writes:
> > > Makedb builds a db database from a simple text file.  I don't know if
> > > it's necessary.  I suspect not.
> >
> > At least some news-server scripts and mkalias (smail) debend on it.
>
> Hmm, smail seems to probid its own makedb in /usr/lib/smail.  Does
> anything else need it?  Apparently not, as we've never had another onw
> and I don't remember anyone asking for it.

The last time I compiled sendmail, it had an option to enable
makedb format database files, so I think it uses it.  I just
don't know if it provides it.  I think it relies on the system
providing it if you want to use it, but I may be wrong.  I'm only
90% sure about this.  I believe that the userdb functionality of
sendmail requires makedb, but there may be other facets to it
that also make use of it.

I'm stuck in Win95 at the moment so I can't even check, but I'll
look into it as soon as I get a chance.  I have grand plans of
getting back into esoteric sendmail stuff again Real Soon Now.

Thanks

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
011-81-3-3437-7967 - Tokyo, Japan