Re: Glibc Packaging Issues

Bruce Perens writes:
> From: david@elo.sw.ods.com (David Engel)
> > 1. Should the main packages be called glibc2* or libc6*?  [Undecided]
>
> What's HJ calling the version he distributes?

I wasn't aware that H.J. was going to distribute a version.  I thought
he was only going to help test and maintain it for Linux.  Wasn't the
main point of going to glibc was to have one version maintained by the
FSF?

> > 2. Glibc provides the gencat, getconf and makedb programs.  Should
> > these go in the libc6 package, a separate libc6-bin package, some
> > other package or nowhere?  [Undecided]
>
> Gencat belongs in libc6-dev. Getconf could go in libc6-bin or libc6.
> I don't know what makedb does.

I can see gencat and rpcgen going in libc6-dev.

Makedb builds a db database from a simple text file.  I don't know if
it's necessary.  I suspect not.

I'm not sure what getconf is.  As far as I can tell, it queries the
system for various POSIX-related parameters.  It may be required for
POSIX compliance.  If that's the case, I don't know which package it
should go in.

> > 3. Glibc uses NSS.  Which package should probide the
> > /etc/nsswitch.conf file?  [base-files]
>
> What's NSS? Is that like NIS?

NSS stands for Name Service Switch.  It controls how various things
are looked up.  For example, if you had the following line in your
/etc/nsswitch.conf file,

	passwd: db files nis

libc would look for user entries first in a db database, then in
/etc/passwd and finally via NIS.

> > 4. Glibc provides the locale and localedef programs and the locale
> > data files.  How should these be packaged?  [New locale package?]
>
> Again, split between normal and -dev packages by function.

I don't understand what you are suggesting.

> > 10. Should profiling versions of libraries be packaged.  [Undecided]
>
> If it's not too much trouble, please do so.

The only trouble is considerable longer build and upload times.

David