Re: Glibc Packaging Issues

> 9. Glibc is really a collection of several libraries, including crypt,
> db, nsl, pthread, resolv, rpcsvc.  Should these be packaged
> separately?  [Probably not]

If you supply libdb, be sure to "replace:" the libdb package.
As for pthread: this is LinuxThreads, right? (I'm curious about
coexistence with Proven's posix threads, but only mildly...)

> 2. Glibc provides the gencat, getconf and makedb programs.  Should
> these go in the libc6 package, a separate libc6-bin package, some
> other package or nowhere?  [Undecided]

* gencat is for message catalog stuff, right? libc6-dev.
* Is makedb the shell script from the db hash tests?
(libdb/tests/hash.test/makedb.sh, that is) if so, don't install it
anywhere, it is (1) a trivial script (2) not useful outside of the
test suite.
* getconf - don't know what it is, sorry.

> 3. Glibc uses NSS.  Which package should probide the
> /etc/nsswitch.conf file?  [base-files]

Also be sure that the NIS package has some postinst option to
automatically set that up correctly (and that the default does *not*
use NIS :-)