Re: I'm packaging the dotfile program

On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, David Engel wrote:

> Shaya Potter writes:
> > I have been fooling around with packaging the dotfile program (recently
> > announced on c.o.l.a)  It seems pretty nice, however I have a few
> > questions about what I have seen when packaging it.
> >
> > 1.  It is basically a tcl/tk program, so I would think it could go in
> > all the binary formats, except for the fact that it bytecompiles the tcl
> > scripts.  Can I modify the Makefile so it won't do this or does this mean
> > nothing and can still be put in 'all' or is this neccessary.
>
> Are the byte-compiled versions architecture independent?  If so, the
> package can still go in 'all'.  Otherwise, how much does not having
> the byte-compiled versions affect performance?  The last time I tried
> dotfile, the startup time was faitly long.

That was basically my question. Thanks for rewording it in a way I
actually understand now? :-).  So if anyone can answer this I would be
appreciative.  I am wondering if byte compiled means that it's machine
dependant or is it kind of like java, which is semi-compiled and is
machine-independant

> > 2.  While it was byte compiling, it gave the following error message a
> > few time.
> >
> > application-specific initialization failed: no display name and no
> > $DISPLAY environment variable
> >
> > This is b/c I was packaging it from the console, will this cause a
> > problem for people trying to run it.  I am currently not running X, so I
>
> Probably.  If you get this message, something in the build is not
> getting done.
>
> > am not going to be able to test the package, so once it is complete I am
> > going to put it in experimental until I hear that it works ok.
>
> Hmm, you aren't running X.  Wouldn't that make it tough to find and
> fix bugs?

As I said, I was running it from console, I was logged into it remotly.
I have the machine at work which does have X on it, but since I don't get
a chance to go into work much I don't have much opportunity to use X.  I
am waiting for my father to get a new computer so I can put debian on his
old one.  The one I use now has to small a hard drive to have both
Windows and Linux, and my sisters need windows.

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil