Re: Virtual package list.

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, Chris Fearnley wrote:

> 'Vincent Renardias wrote:'
> >
> >As I'm packaging some java related softwares, I propose the following new
> >virtual packages:
> >
> >- java-compiler:
> >	Anything that can compile java source to bytecode(jdk, guavac, etc...)
> >
> >- java-machine:
> >	A virtual java machine (jdk, kaffe, ...)
> >
> >I think those are needed since a package containing a .class file must
> >make sure that the user has a way to run bytecode.
>
> I disagree.  I can put a .class file on my web server, but have no
> need to locally run it.  I suspect these virtual packages are
> unnecessary.

	I disagree with your disagreement... _(:

In the case you give, then the package containing the .class do not need
to Depend on 'java-machine'.

Now let's suppose I'm packaging "java-lex-1.1.2" which is a lex-like
parser producing java output: This is not the kind of program you can
display on the web. (let's not confuse java _applets_ and java
_applications_) And the generated output _needs_ both a java compiler and
a JVM to run.

Moreover, flex depends on gcc, so why javalex wouldn't depend on javac ?

As a sidenote, I forgot to ask for a 'java-appletviewer' virtual package.

	Cordialement,

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -