Re: 4-floppy base system

From: marekm@i17linuxb.ists.pwr.wroc.pl (Marek Michalkiewicz)
> Make the 4th floppy optional, for network installations only.  But
> then, if you can install from CD-ROM or hard disk, maybe you don't
> need the base floppies at all?

That's right. If you can install from hard disk or CD you don't need
any floppies at all.

> Also, I think much of the configuration (hostname, IP address, etc.)
> should be done after the newly installed base system is booted from
> hard disk for the first time.  It's only then when you need the
> network up and running for FTP or NFS installation.

Actually, I'd like to go to the configuration database scheme various
people are talking about. That would make "push" and "batch" installation
possible.

> Someone already implemented these hooks, so I guess
> I am not the first one who has this idea :-).

The system brings up a script instead of login the first time
you boot it.

> Now, since there is no need for networking on the boot floppy, it
> can use a much smaller kernel

The problem is that then you have to have two kernels - one that
you install on the hard disk, and one that you use to run the
installer. It's easier to put one kernel on the CD and boot straight
from the CD.

> may be easier to install on a machine with only 4MB of RAM (has
> anyone tried if it's still possible?)

It booted yesterday with mem=4000k.

> if your BIOS doesn't support bootable CD-ROMs yet

Even if a CD isn't bootable (most are not), you can run LOADLIN on it
from dos/windows.

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com