Programmers Manual suggestion

Hi,

#  3.1.4 dpkg-shlibdeps - calculates shared library dependencies
#   For example, the procps package generates two kinds of binaries,
#   simple C binaries like ps which require a predependency and
#   full-screen ncurses binaries like top which require only a
#   recommendation. It can say in its debian/rules:
#dpkg-shlibdeps -dPre-Depends ps -dRecommends top
#
#   and then in its main control file debian/control:
#...
#Package: procps
#Pre-Depends: ${shlibs:Pre-Depends}
#Recommends: ${shlibs:Recommends}
#...

IMHO this is a poor example. The is no reason to PRE-Depend for ps,
therefore we should not show the example with Pre-Depend. Eigheter use
Depends: instead, or look for a example which actually needs Pre-Depends.

6.3 and 6.2 contain a lot of examples for maintainer scripts. Unfortunatelly
lynx won't highlight <var> or <code> and it makes it har to read :(

6.3
#                                                      This error can be
#      overridden if desired using --force-overwrite-dir, but this is not
#      --> --advisable.

note the "--> --".?

Chapter 12:

#   If you do the above your package does not need to call ldconfig in its
#   maintainer scripts. It is especially important not to call ldconfig in
#   the postrm or preinst scripts in the case where the package is being
#   upgraded (see the programmer's manual), as ldconfig will see the

this should be something like "(See Section 6.3)" isntead of "see the
programmer's manual" :)

Apart from the above and my previous mail I like the manuals how they are
proposed by David Morris.

Greetings
Bernd