Debian policy: logging facilities, alpha&beta software

I have two questions related to the policy for debian packages.

- Is there a policy for using the LOG_LOCALx facilities or for allocating new system logging facilities? The problem I have is that thttpd only supports syslog logging. However, since a HTTP daemon potentially produced a lot of logging info, I'd rather avoid using the LOG_DAEMON facility.

- Are there any recommendations/suggestions as to when to base a debian package on alpha or beta version of some upstream package rather than the latest `stable' release?

			Cheers,
				Lukas
   Dr. Lukas Nellen                 | Email: lukas@teorica0.ifisicacu.unam.mx
   Depto. de Fisica Teorica, IFUNAM |
   Apdo. Postal 20-364              | Tel.:  +52 5 622 5014 ext. 218
   01000 Mexico D.F., MEXICO        | Fax:   +52 5 622 5015