Re: sudo not suitable for multi-machine systems

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Brian C. White wrote:

bcwhite >> I dont have one machine. I have a whole set here and the problem to
bcwhite >> administer them. I cannot worry about configuring each machine separately
bcwhite >> to simply have our system administrators perform network diagnostics. Each
bcwhite >> machine has different issues cannot use the same configfile on each
bcwhite >> machine.
bcwhite >
bcwhite >May I suggest using a tool like "cfengine"?  It will allow installing
bcwhite >a standard file in all machine and then running machine-specific edits
bcwhite >on that file.  It's not the cleanest, but it works.

I have tried it and found it not suitable.

The complexity is so that training people to use it is unrealistic. And
you do not have the simple maintenance commands like adduser or passwd
etc. Instead you need to run the program for each host each night or so
with sideeffects that one cannot predict.

NIS is simple and sufficient for all our security needs and more.
Updates are available immediately.
NIS is the standard for scaling UNIX systems and integrates very well with
the basic UNIX security schemes.

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5