Re: dpkg-gencontrol problems

Patrick J. Edwards writes:

> 	I've recently upraded dpkg-dev to 1.4.0.3 and now I get the
> following:
>
> rm -rf debian/tmp debian/*/tmp
> debian/install debian/bitchx-doc.files
> dpkg-gencontrol -pbitchx-doc
> dpkg-gencontrol: failure: chown new files list file: Illegal seek
> make: *** [binary-indep] Error 29
>
> 	Has anyone run across this before or know what the error is. It
> seems to create debian/files.new with 0 bytes. thanks.

I get that message whenever I forget and run 'debian/rules binary' from
an xterm window that is not running a login shell.  Switch to a window
with a login shell and see if that fixes the problem.

--
Karl Sackett                                           krs@caos.aamu.edu

"I have sworn upon the alter of God eternal hostility against every form
of tyranny over the mind of man." -- Thomas Jefferson