I18N for Debian 1.3? (Or 1.4?)

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

One of the things that most people outside the US and UK have to
deal with is configuring everything so that non-ASCII characters
and other locale specific stuff works right. For example, bash needs
a ~/.inputrc so that you write åäö on the command line, instead of
getting beeps. Emacs needs some other stuff.

IMHO, it would be really nice if Debian could do this out of the
box.  Most of the time it should be possible to provide a default
configuration for programs so that all of this works correctly,
without breaking things for English speaking people.

It is less important to have all programs translated to other
languages.

Does this sound like a reasonable goal for 1.3 or 1.4?