Re: New Package: defrag 0.6-1

On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, David Engel wrote:

david >Christoph Lameter writes:
david >> Package: defrag
david >> Architecture: i386
david >> Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
david >> Description: defragmenter for ext2 minix xiafs file systems
david >>  As a file system is used, data tends to become more and more scattered
david >>  over the disk, degrading performance.  A disk defragmenter simply
david >>  reorganises the data on the disk, so that individual files occupy a
david >>  single sequential set of disk blocks, and all the free space on the
david >>  disk is collected together in a single region.  This generally means
david >>  that reading a whole file is more efficient.
david >
david >Defrag-0.6 is over two years old!  Are you sure it's still safe to use
david >on current ext2 file systems?

I think defrag is an essential tool although there are grounds for concern
since it does not compile under 2.0.24. Somebody recently uploaded a
compiled version to sunsite and seems to have had success using it. The
defrag package I submitted are the binaries of his compile.

Is there any section for packages that have one or the other strange
characteristic?

Here is his readme:

This a compiled version of defrag-0.6.............

CAUTION Will Robinson DANGER...DANGER...

These should be ELF binaries... It was compiled under Linux 1.2.13 with
GCC 2.7.0. and libc.so.5.0.9.  This is the only know version of Linux
that I know of that compiles cleanly.  It works on my Linux box with
versions 1.2.13 thru 2.0.24 as of 10/30/96.

To install defrag-0.6 on you linux system:

Installation is done by running "make install" ONLY...
Everything else will recompile the programs.

Don't bother to email me if there are problems with something you did.

hedrick@astro.dyer.vanderbilt.edu

Andre Hedrick
Dyer Observatory, Vanderbilt University

NEITHER Vanderbilt University or myself (Andre Hedrick) are responsible
for the missuse of this package.

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5