Re: What architecture are we?

Brian C. White writes:
> > Gcc does not currently use any non-i386 instructions when compiling
> > for i[345]86 targets.  It does, however, apply different optimizations
> > depending on which specific cpu is being targeted.
> The word "currently" worries me a bit.  They could suddenly start supporting
> those instructions and newly built/rebuilt packages could start dying on
> older architectures, possible only in rare cases.  This could be immensely
> frustrating and difficult to track down.

I understand your concern, but I would hope the gcc maintaniner would
notice any changes and give us a heads up.  The question I think we
need to answer is are we willing to sacrifice performance on the
standard machines of today just to keep full compatibility with 10
year old machines?  When the time comes that packages will no longer
run at all on older machines, we may have to provide separate packages
for them.