Re: Upcoming Debian Releases [auto-post]

Brian C. White:
> Rex  (aka "Debian 1.2")

> * Shadow password support (marekm@i17linuxb.ists.pwr.wroc.pl)

I understand that Guy Maor is the maintainer of the Debian shadow
package - I'd like to include the Debian patches in the upstream
version once moved to the new source format (and possibly become
the maintainer - but that will probably happen only after the Rex
release).

> - Boot disks should contain drivers for more systems/cards (???)

Yes, please - include the 3c90x PCI ethernet driver, if possible
(http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/).  These cards seem
to be quite common now.

> Bo

> - new XFree86 3.2. stuff -- involves all packages using X

Well, XFree86 3.2 is out already (since 30 October) - I am still
hoping that it's not too late and it will be in Rex...

I trust that the XFree86 people have done a good job, and this
release fixes more bugs than it introduces (besides adding support
for more hardware).  There is at least one serious security problem
in our current X packages (the libXt buffer overrun), and no shadow
password support in xdm, so if we're going to recompile it anyway,
perhaps we should also upgrade at the same time.  (Someone already
said "fixing obsolete packages shouldn't be how we spend our time"
or something like that - and I second this.)

Marek