Re: SysLinux

From: Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au>
> why would we want to?
> minix gives us long file names, msdos doesn't

Actually, the boot disk is now a MSDOS-format floppy containing a
kernel and a compressed MINIX ram disk image. It works excellently.  It
supports long file names, and those critical character and block
special files (which MSDOS doesn't support). Having the floppy be in
the MSDOS format means that the end-user can replace the kernel on the
floppy easily. That's the only reason we do it, other than the fact
that SysLinux provides us with help screens and LILO doesn't.

> (this is more of a philisophical objection than a technical one - debian,
> or any version of linux for that matter, shouldn't need msdos to install)

It's just the MSDOS filesystem.

	Bruce