Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:18:49 -0500 (EST)
From: Jacques Gelinas <jack@solucorp.qc.ca>
To: spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Subject: Linuxconf and debian

I have finished doing very small correction to linuxconf so it works on
debian. The modification are general. I mean, they are not required per se
for debian. I would say that debian simply triggered bugs or limitation in
linuxconf (There is no #if DEBIAN for example).

I am about to release 1.7r23. It will include an uninstalled_linuxconf.sh
script. I have tested this all evening yesterday on redhat 4.0 and Debian
1.1. So if you want to give a try to linuxconf on Debian, you can do it
safely.

There is only one "gotcha" on Debian systems. Linuxconf rely on nslookup
to probe the DNS. For example, when activating the configuration, be it
for booting or updating a configuration change, linuxconf always does
(Unless told not too) some probing with the DNS to make sure all is well
(DNS problems are the most confusing one).

To achieve this probing, linuxconf rely on nslookup. Unfortunatly, on
debian, the basic nslookup installed is a fake. You have to install the
bind package to get it. I consider this unfortunate as nslookup is a neat
debugging tool even if you don't run a DNS on your machine.

I saw that there was a command "host" which was unknown to me. I see that
it duplicate much of the functionnality of nslookup. As far as I can see,
it is commonly available. I have it in all distribution here (7).

The side effect of the fake nslookup is that the DNS query done by
linuxcof fail (I do nslookup -q=soa 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa and nslookup.sh
barf on this one) telling you that the DNS do not work properly. You can
continue anyway, but it is annoying. Once you have installed the bind
package, the problem goes away.

I have not received any comment about the concept of dropins in linuxconf
which would make it more modular and fit better with the highly modular
scheme of Debian. Did you got my email ?