Re: Linuxconf and debian

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Jacques Gelinas wrote:

> There is only one "gotcha" on Debian systems. Linuxconf rely on nslookup
> to probe the DNS. For example, when activating the configuration, be it
> for booting or updating a configuration change, linuxconf always does
> (Unless told not too) some probing with the DNS to make sure all is well
> (DNS problems are the most confusing one).
>
> To achieve this probing, linuxconf rely on nslookup. Unfortunatly, on
> debian, the basic nslookup installed is a fake. You have to install the
> bind package to get it. I consider this unfortunate as nslookup is a neat
> debugging tool even if you don't run a DNS on your machine.

Actually, there was a lot of talk on debian-devel about getting the
fake nslookup out, and putting a real one in instead.  However, I don't
remember what the final descition on that was, I'll ask on debian-devel
though to find out.

Also, why should it matter, don't they need bind installed to use the dns
stuff in linuxconf?

> I have not received any comment about the concept of dropins in linuxconf
> which would make it more modular and fit better with the highly modular
> scheme of Debian. Did you got my email ?

I got it, looked at the web page, but I don't have much time to write
email, (I go to school from 7:30AM to 6:15PM, boy I can't wait for
college :) ).  The concept seems solid, but I want to ask on debian-devel
if anyone else has any comments about it.

Thanks,

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter