Re: netbase depends: inetd and xinetd as "network-daemon"

Boris D. Beletsky wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Peter Tobias wrote:
>
> >1. avoid that more than one inetd runs at the same time
> runs at the same time?
> no way, look at the pkg
> >   - which one should have priority
> >     - let the user choose
> thats the best IMHO
> >         - use alternatives mechanism
> that can be also done
> >     + don't enable xinetd by default
> with all the respect, i object - i to much like xinetd to pkg it
> and be half installed

If you read the whole mail you'll probably remember that I
said that xinetd shouldn't be _enabled_ by default (see my
previous mail for the reasons). It will be fully installed.
The user has just to say "Yes, I definitely want to use
xinetd (which is incompatible to the standard inetd),
please make the necessary changes for me" to the postinst
script.

The method I described in the previous mail would result
in ONE additional question in the xinetd postinst script and
one or two small changes in update-inetd. If the user should
get a converted inetd.conf file or a new xinetd.conf.converted
file if update-inetd is run is up to you.

> >2. find a solution for the update-inetd problem(s)
> >   - updating inetd.conf
> >     - change update-inetd so it will change inetd.conf
> >       and a xinetd.conf(?) file if available
>
> i would, but it's writen in perl - i don't know it that well

I don't have the time right now to do it, sorry.

Thanks,

Peter

--
 Peter Tobias                                EMail:
 Fachhochschule Ostfriesland                 tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de