Re: kernel for 1.2

clameter@waterf.org (Christoph Lameter)  wrote on 29.10.96 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.95.961029075320.17905A-100000@waterf.org>:

> On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Ian Jackson wrote:

ian >>        The host software MUST NOT automatically move into gateway
ian >>      mode if the host has more than one interface, [...]

> The current setup does require the user to manually setup the second
> interface (in /etc/init.d/network). There is no way to automatically
> configure a secondary network card to my knowledge.
>
> Thus it requires user intervention to enable forwarding.

Look again.

The requirement is about not automatically enabling forwarding

             *if the host has more than one interface*

- that is, the RFC explicitely *forbids* that configuring a second
interface enables gateway mode.

Of course configuring the second interface requires user intervention.
There are probably very few, if any, setups where it doesn't. So the RFC
obviously doesn't mean that (besides, it's also quite clear from the
wording).

We don't need a runtime switch, though that would be the nicest solution.
But absent one, we need to distribute our kernels with gatewaying
functionality configured OFF, so the user has to recompile.

MfG Kai