Re: kernel for 1.2

From: Dominik Kubla <kubla@netz.klinik.uni-mainz.de>
> There is a problem with that:  this will allow you only to boot from disks
> known to the BIOS.  People with SCSI adapters without BIOS support (like the
> AHA-1505) will not be able to use it.

I'm sorry that I did not communicate effectively that the only change
is that we are switching the boot floppy from SysLinux to LILO. This
only applies to booting _from_the_floppy_, and is separate from  the
issue of SCSI adapter BIOS. We still have LOADLIN around for people who
need it.

> 3. Please leave IP forwarding turned ON. It's a small change in code size
>    and a lot of trouble for users if they have to build a kernel just
>    to turn it on.

> But isn't that violating the host requirements RFC?  Maybe it would be
> better to convert the compile-time option to a run-time option.
>
> The problem with having IP forwarding on by default is that a lot of
> network management tools use the IP forward flag to determine the
> existance of a router.

Here, again, I must be mis-communicating. I asked to have the
capability to forward IP packets left in the generic kernel. IP
forwarding doesn't actually happen until you have at least _two_
network interfaces, a route to each, and packets for one interface
actually coming in to the other. I don't see any evidence that
turning on this feature sets flags in outgoing packets unless actual
forwarding takes place.

> And when the alarm bells in a NOC go on every time
> a (Debian-)Linux system is booted, our beloved OS will be put on the black
> list within an eyes blink!

I have no reports of something like this happening.

> BTW. I think a lot of now compile-time options need to be converted to
> run-time options, eg CAN_LOAD_EGA_FONTS, CAN_LOAD_EGA_FONTS, VGA_CAN_DO_64KB..

You mean CAN_LOAD_PALLETTE. Do you have reports of cards breaking the kernel?

	Thanks

	Bruce