Re: Using linuxconf

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> > converting over to linuxconf would be a lot of work for many
> > maintainers (every package which needed a boot time script would
> > have to be changed), and we'd have a system which didn't work
> > properly for months until things settled down after the massive
> > change.
>
> Since every PAckage should be changed to use conftool/getconfig from
> Lars(sp?) anyway, we can just write modules for linuxconf to handle
> the getconfig aproach.

difference is that we could move gradually - it would be an incremental
improvement, nothing would break because the underlying system
remains the same. A package doesn't have to use the new config system
immediately.

change the underlying system overnight and everything breaks until it's
been changed to work with the new system. A package would have to use
the new system immediately.

if linuxconf can be made to work with debian (rather than debian being made
to work with linuxconf) then it'll be a good thing.  Otherwise it will cause
a lot of problems which we don't need.

Craig