Re: does libc5.4.7 compatible with netscape 3.0

Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

> david@elo.ods.com (David Engel) writes:

> > Lawrence Chim writes:
> > > Once I upgrade libc to 5.4.7-1, netscape cannot run and it said
> > > bus error.  Then I downgrade to 5.2.18, netscape runs again.

> > Lawrence reported this to me earlier.  I had not seen any problems at
> > that time but am now.  Is anyone else having problems with libc 5.4.7
> > and/or know of the fix?

> As I reported on debian-user, I am not seeing any problems with libc
> 5.4.7, but I am running netscape 3.0b1.  Perhaps upgrading to this
> version will help?

The problem occurs (at least) with all 3.0 versions of Netscape,
including the release and the 3.01b1. And it occurs with all libc's
newer than 5.2.18.  The problem is a bus error that occurs when
running any Java app.  Most likely it is because the Java Runtime does
some memory management stuff that doesn't sit right with the new
malloc in recent libc's.  The solution is either to disable Java, or
use a wrapper script that LD_PRELOAD's libc-5.2.18 (Unfortunately,
installing the 5.4.7 package causes the 5.2.18 package to be
uninstalled.)

Perhaps you don't see the problem because you have Java disabled?

Steve
dunham@gdl.msu.edu