Re: New CD-ROM: Plea for floppyless install

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

bruce >A. Just the kernel (with CD drivers linked in) and the mini-root,
bruce >   for 4MB RAM systems. Additional modules are read off of the CD after
bruce >   the kernel boots.

How does this minimal system find the kernel to install? There is no boot
disk.

bruce >B. Contains all modules, the kernel package, and base1_2.tgz, so that it
bruce >   can get the system booting without any additional access to the CD, even
bruce >   if there is no driver for your CD in our kernels.
bruce >
bruce >I think to do this we need to modify mkrboot to add a ramdisk-size
bruce >argument, as option B is larger than the 4MB default size of the ram disk.
bruce >"gzip -l" will give you the uncompressed size of the disk image.

With large ramdisks you will be wasting a lot of RAM that might be better
used to speed up the process. Lets concentrate on approach A to have
something that works.

bruce >We can do better. Put a boot.bat file in the root. Have it offer the user
bruce >a view or printout of the installation notes, and have it offer a selection
bruce >of booting options. Put the data in the dos_boot subdirectory and have
bruce >boot.bat access it there.

I hope someone has the time and energy to keep the dos batchfiles and all
stuff around it up to date.

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5