Is this a bug in dpkg???

It was pointed out to me that elvis 2.0-5 conflicts with the old versions
of elvis, but it does not replace them.  Soooo, I quickly adjusted the
control file so that it now includes:

    Replaces: elviscmn, elvisnox, elvisx11
    Conflicts: elviscmn, elvisnox, elvisx11

I installed both elviscmn and elvisnox, and proceeded to try installing
the new package.  I expected the old packages to be removed, and the new
elvis package to replace them.  This is what happened:

    Dillweed:root% dpkg -i elvis_2.0-6_i386.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package elvis.
    dpkg: considering removing elviscmn in favour of elvis ...
    dpkg: no, cannot remove elviscmn (--auto-deconfigure will help):
     elvisnox depends on elviscmn
      elviscmn is to be removed.
    dpkg: regarding elvis_2.0-6_i386.deb containing elvis:
     elvis conflicts with elviscmn
      elviscmn (version 2.0-4) is installed.
    dpkg: error processing elvis_2.0-6_i386.deb (--install):
     conflicting packages - not installing elvis
     elvis_2.0-6_i386.deb

So now, I decided that maybe the order in which I list the packages is
important, so I changed the control file as follows:

     Replaces: elvisnox, elvisx11, elviscmn
     Conflicts: elvisnox, elvisx11, elviscmn

And when I tried to install the resulting package, this is what happened:

     Dillweed:root% dpkg -i elvis_2.0-6_i386.deb
     dpkg: considering removing elvisnox in favour of elvis ...
     dpkg: yes, will remove elvisnox in favour of elvis.
     dpkg: regarding elvis_2.0-6_i386.deb containing elvis:
      elvis conflicts with elviscmn
       elviscmn (version 2.0-4) is installed.
     dpkg: error processing elvis_2.0-6_i386.deb (--install):
      conflicting packages - not installing elvis
      elvis_2.0-6_i386.deb

Is this a bug in dpkg???  If not, what is the RightWay(tm) to do this?  I
am using dpkg 1.4.0.3
 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen         Web:    http://www.et.byu.edu/~andersee/