Re: dselect user interface

Hi,

> My first cut at a "novice" interface would involve the following:
>   Under the '2. [S]elect      Request which packages you want on your system.'
>   menu option these choices would be offered:
>     1.  Basic Install (Only "standard" packages)
>     2.  Workstation-Server (Include "optional" packages -- smail based)
>     3.  Workstation-Server (Include "optional" packages -- sendmail based)
>     4.  Full Install  (Virtually every package that won't result in conflicts)
>     5.  Advanced Package Selection (the current dselect interface)

Use the get/set selection mechanism for this: (The Main advantage for this
is, you as the dselect maintainer) dont need to think of Packages and the
selection list can easyly be changed, and the user get anhanced
functionality.

/var/lib/dpkg/selectionlists/* would hold files like this:

basic.sel-----------------------------------------------------
# Basic Install (Only "standard" packages)
lshell                                          install
lsof                                            install
lynx                                            install
m4                                              install

Then you can present a menue of all the files which are present there.
Additionally experienced user can built their own 'selection list' and
still can use dselect with it. An option for savig the current selection to
one of those files would be nice.

An Additional Suggestion is to remove the main menue. Instead start dselect
with the Selection-Screen. If no access method is choosen it will be empty.
Then add a small pull-down (or pop-up) menues:

File  Update  Action  Options  Help

File:
-----
load+apply selection
save current selection
Check+Save+Quit
Save+Quit
Quit

Update:
(Will update the Available Packages)

Action:
-------
Check for dependencies
Check+Install       (The Check screen can be left w/o acceptin dependencies)
Configure pending
Delete Pending

--------
Access Method
Installing (Forces, Logs)
Display (Sort-Order, Layout)

And then remove the "Check Dependencies" from the main select Dialog. And
Please remove the help-screens before the selection mainscreen and before
the dependencies-screen.

Greetings
Bernd