Re: dselect user interface

Richard Kaszeta <kaszeta@me.umn.edu> writes:

> Well, based on discussion on comp.os.linux.misc, I think a simple
> change that would make people a lot happier is to have dselect treat
> 'recommends' more like 'suggests' than 'depends', since I've seen a
> number of references to people getting frustrated at the large numbers
> of packages dselect tries to install.

No, I think the current behavior is correct.  Recommends is treated
like depends by dselect and like suggests by dpkg.  Developers
sometimes use recommends when they really should use suggests.

>From the Programmer's Manual 8.2:

The Recommends field should list packages that would be found together
with this one in all but unusual installations.

[Suggests] is used to declare that one package may be more useful with
one or more others.

You should file bugs against packages that use recommends when they
should be using suggests.

Guy