Re: modules (2.0.0-12) contains the insmod.c patch for 2.1.X

Wichert Akkerman writes:
> As soon as libc5.4.9 is in the stable tree I will remove the insmod.c patch.

It will never be. HJ Lu hasn't even released it for public usage. That is
the last time I checked it was still in private/...

> However, we currently have to support both libc5.2.8 (which is stable) and
> recent kernels. The only way to do this is t use the insmod.c patch. I have
> been using the patch for some time nw and have no problems. This is with
> kernels 2.0.21, 2.0.24 and 2.1.3.

I also use it with 2.0.23 and 2.1.5 and with libc-5.4.9 and everything's
working fine. IMO this patch does no harm at all, it just checks for a
return value that won't come anymore with libc-5.4.9+.

> As I already said: IMHO the modules package should also work with the current
> stable libc. I can make a new modules package for experimental that would only
> work with a libc5.4.9 (or later) as soon as someone packages it.

I have it, but how shall I upload it? If I simply put it on master it
replaces 5.4.7 which is a no-no. Creating a libc-beta package is way too
much work for me (and IMO not worth the effort). So I think we create a new
libc package as soon as HJ makes a version publicily available.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
meskes@informatik.rwth-aachen.de |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________