Re: Thoughts regarding package installation

'Lars Wirzenius wrote:'

>Chris Fearnley:
>> At least I want an option to turn off each package (leave it installed
>> for manual testing and documentation reading, but otherwise off
>
>dpkg --unpack?

But then I get error messages from /etc/cron.*/<pkg> and I never
bothered to learn the dselect option for --unpack :)  [So /etc/rc2.d
links get created (which I then need to undo) ]

Perhaps it should be mandated that /etc/cron.*/<pkg> check if the
expected link exists in /etc/rc2.d or better check the current
runlevel before executing (xdtpd always restarts my unconfigured,
unwanted deamon whenever its cron script is run :(

Ugh, that's somewhat ugly.  Anyone know the best answer?  [Besides not
installing unneeded packages waiting for the rainy day to set them
up?]

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS