More on shared libs and dpkg 1.4

I'm still struggling with dpkg-shlibdeps.
I'm (re-)building a package which creates its own library.
When dpkg-shlibdeps runs, it complains because it cannot resolve the
library dependencies (which is normal as the lib isn't installed yet
!)

Here is one of the messages:
==
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unknown output from ldd on `import': `
libMagick.so.3.7 => not found'
==
How should I cope with this ?

Also, several of the libraries the package uses are not registered by
dpkg-shlibdeps. Now, I'm solving the problem by creating a
debian/shlibs.local. Is that the right way ? Should I put my library
there too ?
And how should I register my library to dpkg-shlibdeps ?

Finally, how can I make dpkg-gencontrol generates dependencies for
the -dev package to that it explictitely Depends on the same version
of the non-dev package ? $(shlibs:Depends) doesn't work as the
library my package provides doesn't get into it.

Thanks for your help.

Phil.