Re: Questions regarding the base system

Hi,

> bruce>> Why is the MBR package in the base system? And why does lilo depend on
> bruce>> mbr?

Lilo wont depend on it if i finish the liloconfig script soon. Then it will
recommends mbr.

> bruce>MBR is necessary for boot compatibility with other operating systems.
> bruce>It makes it possible to boot DOS/Windows/OS2 by changing the active
> bruce>boot partition, and it gets rid of all of those "How do I remove LILO?"
> bruce>questions, because LILO doesn't go on the Master Boot Record when we
> bruce>use MBR. MBR is _very_ small. We used to have a lot more LILO
> bruce>complaints/questions before we used it.

The problem with this is, nobody realy wants a stupid boot manger like this.
PPl prefer other Bootmanagers (including lilo). mbr is a very simple program
which causes a lot of problems since nobody knows it, nobody knows to handle
it and it has some major problems in booting oprating systems. I realy dont
see any need for it. The Generic MBR is inteligent enough to use the
activated partition. If you want to choose others you should install a clever
bootmanager anyway. And Lilo isnt realy compicated if you take the time to
read the FAQ.

BTW: there is a problem with the mbr istallation of the base disks. MBR wont
backup the mbr in /boot/boot.0xxx.

> Are the MBR features documented somewhere?

/usr/doc/mbr/README

Greetings
Bernd
lilo maintainer