Re: dpkg-shlibs and soname

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, David Frey wrote:

> Hello Folks,
> Hi Ray,
>
> I'm trying to (re)package rpncalc under the new packaging scheme, but I'm
> having problems with dpkg-shlibs and/or the sonames.  Rpncalc needs the
> readline library to work, which it links with the name libreadline.so.2.0:
>
> (david@eos) ~/C/rpncalc-1.1$ldd rpncalc
>         libm.so.5 => /lib/libm.so.5.0.5
>         libreadline.so.2.0 => /lib/libreadline.so.2.0
>         libncurses.so.3.0 => /lib/libncurses.so.3.0
>         libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.2.18
>
> But dpkg-shlibs disagrees about the dependency information:
> (david@eos) ~/C/rpncalc-1.1$dpkg-shlibdeps rpncalc
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for shared
> library libm (soname 5, path /lib/libm.so.5.0.5, dependency field Depends)
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for shared
> library libreadline (soname 2.0, path /lib/libreadline.so.2.0, dependency
> field Depend
> s)
>
> (well the math library linking can be ignored)
> If dpkg-shlibs looks into the package names, the point is clear: there is
> no
> libreadline2.0-package:(david@eos)
No, I think what the message indicates, is that it is looking for the
dependency information (I suspect in the default file for shlibdeps) and
can't find what it needs. I believe that the default file only has libc5,
ncurses and some xlib things. You will need to add the desired dependency
information to /etc/dpkg/shlibs.default if I am not mistaken.

Luck,

Dwarf