Re: dpkg and dependencies - manual update

Actually, it was Raul Miller who clarified the issue for me, when he wrote:
>Package dependencies are a rather crude mechanism, only useful for
>preventing the most blatant configuration mistakes.

I had previously been under the impression that the Debian packaging
mechanism was meant to be completely self-contained.  No qualitative
evaluations, no fuzziness.

I presume that Raul's description accurately portrays the packaging system
as having a more limited set of goals.  In that case, while the system may be
viewed as a vast improvement over other packaging systems which exist
at present (e.g., anything Microsoft offers), it nonetheless has room
for improvement.  Whether that improvement will happen as part of this
project or another remains, of course, to be seen.

Susan Kleinmann