Shared libraries and symbols

Can we strip shared libraries? I don't know whether that's possible but I
just found out that 'nm /lib/libc.so.5.4.4' (yes, I know this is not the
Debian version) on my system gives:

/lib/libc.so.5.4.4: no symbols

However, almost all other shared libraries come with symbols, some even with
debugging sysmbols (at least strip -g is able to reduce the library size).
If these symbols are not needed I'd like to ask all libraries to be stripped
since it saves an awful lot of disk space. If for some reasons the symbols
are needed could anyone tell me why my libc works?

Michael

--
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
meskes@informatik.rwth-aachen.de |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________