dpkg & accidental overwrite of /usr/man/man1

Eek!  I made a goof in a package I'm putting together and dpkg let me get
away with it.

The problem was that I saved a man page as "/usr/man/man1" instead of
the correct name "/usr/man/man1/manpage.1".  Dpkg noticed the conflict,
but went ahead and toasted the 'man1' directory anyway.

It seems dpkg still has the "--force" option enabled for files found in
multiple packages and so went ahead with the overwrite.

Can we remove this force?  Alternatively, could we make it so entire
directories can't be replaced by a single file?

                                               Brian
                                      ( bcwhite@verisim.com )

 the difference between theory and practice is less in theory than in practice