Re: Bruce - fiat required to end discussion on lyx/copyright ?

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Michael Meskes wrote:

> >      All packages in the Debian distribution proper must be freely useable,
> >      modifiable and redistributable in both source and binary form. It must
> >      be possible for anyone to distribute and use modified source code and
> >      their own own compiled binaries, at least when they do so as part of a
>              ^^^^^^^
> >      Debian distribution.
>
> That's exactly the point. I cannot recompile any package that uses Motif
> since I don't have it. But I can recompile LyX since we have an xforms
> package available.

Folks that buy my CD can too, but that's because xforms is improperly
located in contrib instead of non-free where it belongs (because source is
not distributed). Non-free is not part of the Debian distribution (in the
most technical use of the term) and programs that depend on them belong in
contrib (or non-free if they have distribution restrictions).

Luck,

Dwarf