Re: CC's on this mailing list

Mr Stuart Lamble wrote:
> All very nice, but it dodges the major reason for people disliking duplicate
> copies of messages: they pay for their PPP link (or UUCP feed, or whatever).
> Identifying duplicates by their message IDs means that you have to download
> both messages, unless you can do the filtering at your ISP's end of the link.
>
> I'm not overly concerned personally at the moment - I'm at university, and
> the government pays for my feed :-) - but it's generally not good etiquette
> full stop.

Bandwidth prices have dropped quite healthily in recent years, and they
are going to continue to do so.  Rambling on about being cc'd, when the
bandwidth prices are still dropping, and YOU HAVE alternatives, is silly
at best.

Those of you who've been going on and on about this, consuming far too
much human-time (on this already excessively voluminous list) :

1) Have you switched up to a 28.8kbps modem yet, or at least a 14.4kbps
modem?  Yes, modems cost money, but shelling out a little for a modem
now may save you heavily in bandwidth if you transfer much data - and
would save you a lot more than badgering people about cc'ing.

2) Are you transferring your mail gzip'd?  If not, why not?  Have you
bothered to look for an ISP that will help you do this?  This too would
save you a lot more than badgering people about cc'ing.

3) Have you bothered to look for an ISP that will do upstream filtering?
Have you even bothered to ask your current ISP if they'd be willing?  If
you want to do all your interaction with the internet over a low
bandwidth link, and you're concerned about bandwidth costs, then this
SHOULD be a deciding factor in your choice of ISP.  This also, would
save you a lot more than badgering people about cc'ing.