Packaging questions (newbie)

I'd like to contribute some packages, but I'd like to ask some
questions first:

1. One of these packages is the replacement of `libX11.so'.  Do I have to make
whole alternative version of appropriate standard X package or is there some
way to make small "one-file-replacement" package?

2. Some of these packages (like X fonts) would be related to ISO-8859-2 only
and some of them (like Czech fonts and format files for TeX) are even
interesting only for Czech speaking users.  It is probably not good idea to
place Czech-only packages to the main tree.  Or it is?

3. What and where are (are there?) up-to-date `Debian Packaging Guidelines'?

And one not packaging related question:

4. What does word `Debian' mean?

Thanks for any help.

--
Milan Zamazal
Student of computer science, Masaryk University, Brno, Moravia, Czech Republic