Re: Pb: gdb cannot read core from 2.0.8 (is it a gdb or kernel problem)?

Miquel van Smoorenburg writes:
 > You (Yves Arrouye) wrote:
 > > GDB 4.15.1 (i486-linux), Copyright 1995 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
 > >
 > > "0¨´
 > >     @/core": not in executable format: File format not recognized
 > >
 > > So there's a problem there. Do you have an idea about who is faulty? Gdb?
 >
 > As I understand it, the way you call gdb is
 >
 > gdb [executable] [its core file]
 >
 > preferrably with [executable] compiled with -g and linked statically
 >
 > I doubt that gdb can read core files without an accompanying executable..

You're right, sorry. It's

	gdb [otheropts] [prog[core|procID]]

But the message is really misleading... It would ne nice if Gdb checked
wether the prog arg was a core first, and in this case tell that's the
case and remind usage. (Not that I ask that it does that: I should have
read the manual page, of course.)

Yves.