Re: /usr/doc/copyright/<package> -> /usr/doc/<package>/copyright ?

Erick Branderhorst writes ("Re: /usr/doc/copyright/<package> -> /usr/doc/<package>/copyright ?"):
> No, the /usr/doc/<package> dir is a dir which normally comes with all
> stuff in it gzipped and I think we should keep it like that.  We can not
> gzip copyright files (this has been decided/mandated long ago) so I
> think it isn't good to put an ungezipped file in there.

It seems to me that some files being gzipped and some not is a very
weak reason for putting them different directories.  Furthermore, (a)
we could decide to gzip the copyright file if we wanted to and (b) the
documentation in /usr/doc is currently only compressed unless it is
small (according to both the current guidelines and the new policy
manual).

> Minor argument is that the current approach is space saving.  If no
> documentation comes with package an dir entry needs to be created for
> its copyright file, when this is in /usr/doc/copyright this will not
> be required.

Using one disk block and one inode per installed package in order to
allow the user to find the documentation more easily seems like a good
tradeoff to me.

> I still think that copyright file can/should be autogenerated by the
> package building process and provide a default part and a free part.
> Check mailing archives if you want to know more on this.

I'm afraid I don't (want to know more).

Ian.