Re: New Apache package (Was: Re: Q about making a package with a dedicated user?)

On Aug 3,  8:51pm, Craig Sanders wrote:
} Subject: Re: New Apache package (Was: Re: Q about making a package with a
}
} On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
}
} Yves Arrouye <arrouye@marin.fdn.fr>
}
} > You (Yves Arrouye) wrote:
} > > To anyone that read this message: your suggestions for features you
} > > want in the Apache package are welcome.
} >
} > Perhaps you could put in the SSL patches and make the apache-SLL package
} > available on a site outside of the US?
}
} excellent idea....
}
} The one tiny problem with it, if i recall correctly, is that French laws
} regarding encryption are even worse than the US laws.  They're not even
} allowed to possess encryption devices/software!

I'm not sure. What's sure is that we don't have the right to use them...
Now, with the ever increasing pressure of would-be electronic merchants
there will be a possibility to crypt for authentification at the express
condition that a trusted (by the State) third-party has a copy of the
encryption key. But I still don't know if anyone will be allowed to give
such a key to this third-party (I'm afraid this will not be the case
because noone will be willing to process too many keys), so I fear only
commercial parties will be able to do that for se in their software for
example.

France: Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite ;-) but not with regards to encryption.

Yves.