Re: use of /usr/share

> Erick Branderhorst writes ("use of /usr/share"):
> > Perhaps this is a very sensitive subject but shouldn't architecture
> > independent things like man pages, info manuals, tex & latex styles
> > and a lot of other things being put under a subdir of /usr/share?
>
> The FSSTND people haven't really settled on this yet, and are now
> diverted.

On our network here, we've had great fun with all this.  Basically,
there
are four needs:

- System installed files (i.e. debian packages)
- Machine-local installed files
- Network mounted arch-dependant files
- Network mounted arch-independant files

yet there are only three locations

- / and /usr
- /usr/local
- /usr/share

Our general solution was to create a fourth and allocate them as
follows:

- / and /usr : System installed files
- /usr/local : Machine-local installed files
- /usr/site  : Network mounted arch-dependant files
- /usr/share : Network mounted arch-independant files

                                        Brian
                               ( bcwhite@verisim.com )

    In theory, theory and practice are the same.  In practice, they're
not.