Re: the Search system

Hi Susan,

you're keeping me quite busy today :-)

> I just found the Debian search system on http://www.debian.org/ghindex.html.
> This seems to me like a big step forward, and am sorry I didn't see it
> before.  Just yesterday I remarked to someone (for whom I had answered a
> user-question by specifying the appropriate HOWTO) that the HOWTO's
> desperately needed a search interface.
>
> Questions and comments:
> 1.  In the line "Files in this directory", what does the
>     word 'this' refer to?

The root directory of the web pages directory structure.

> 2.  Would it be possible (i.e., would the motivation/pain ratio exceed 1)
>     to add the HOWTO's to the list of indexed files,

Hmmm... I'm extracting /usr/info already... I'll put it on the todo list.

>     and then automate the
>     rebuild of the glimpse index as new packages appear for doc-linux?

The glimpse index is rebuilt daily.

> 3.  Going further, would it possible (same as above) to simply add all
>     of /usr/doc and all of /usr/info to the list of indexed files?

Hmm... doable... Also http://www.debian.org/cgi-bin/info2www
will hopefully work again someday soon.

>     If so,
>     the text above the search engine form could be greatly streamlined.
>
> 4.  Comment:  it would be nice to put the selectable directories in a
>     <SELECT><OPTION> ....</SELECT> grouping, where the default was ALL.

It's autogenerated; I don't want to mess with it right now.

Greetings,
Ray
--
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.