Reply-to to the list, also: Better Xdm logo screen)

[ Note: I read this mailing list.  There is no need to CC me on replies,
  unless it is _really_ urgent.  I pay for my PPP connections.  Thanks. ]

Rob Browning:
> Hmm, what if the debian lists had a Reply-to header that was the list
> in question.  That would cut down on unintentional replies.

It's a bad idea.  It makes it more difficult to choose whom the replies
should go to.  Sometimes one wants to reply to the list, sometimes to
the author.  If there is a Reply-to, in many MUA's it is more difficult
to reply to the author (i.e., you'd have to copy the address, often
by hand if not using X).

Also, some people happen to prefer to get replies via a Cc as well via
the list, since they sort the mailing list to a folder, and might not
read it every day.  Mailing lists can also be slower.

So, I wouldn't vote for an automatic Reply-to to the list.  I'm quite
happy with the annoying message at the beginning, especially since I
don't have to do anything special to get it there (I just select
"Reply to list" from the exmh menu, instead of "Reply to all" -- the
list reply is my addition, btw).

> This sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately, I'm not sure it's
> important enough that someone'll be willing to take the time to do
> it.  It would be good PR though.

The hard part is designing what it should look like.  If it is kept
simple, it's just a nice background image (and that would be quite good
enough, at least to begin with).  Putting that image to the screen is
trivial.

XBanner might also be worth a look.

(I may play with this sooner or later -- I tend to play with my X
configuration anyway, when I'm tired and should be doing something
imporant. :-)

> No, we used to use the baby GNU, but, well...

Ah.  That might be, shall we say, not the right choice, politically, unless
relations with the FSF warm up a bit first.  (Always a possibility, and
I'd certainly welcome it.)

> Anyway, I had a friend (graphic artist) that was working on something,
> but I wouldn't hold your breath.  He's busy too.

  "Boss, can I ask you something?"
  "Sure."
  "Everyone's always talking about vacations and free time and things like
that.  How come I never have any?"
  "You wouldn't like it."
  "But they it's better than work.  They really forward to it."
  "Remember last year, when the office was shut down for a week."
  "When they replace all windows?  Sure I remember.  I couldn't play with
a computer for a week.  Horrible."
  "Vacations are like that."
  "Oh."
  "So you wouldn't like them."
  "But everyone else does."
  "Ah, but that's because they're lusers, not hackers."
  "Oh."
  "Now go back and write that compiler.  We need it last week."