Re: Can we have a /etc/debian in base?

  Chris>  I don't have an /etc/debian_version on most of my systems.  I think
  Chris> it must be part of the base package which out of (unfounded) fear I
  Chris> have not upgraded yet.  And it wasn't there some time ago (0.93??).

As they say "Just do it!". You will have to hand-edit /etc/{groups,passwd}
but has the benefit of giving the new default uids and gids reserved for
cerian parts of the system.

And it answers this thread as it offers /etc/debian_version, due to a rather
sane (compated to other, more recent ones :-() request by RMS...

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd