gawk as essential...

Since some sensible alternatives to gawk are allowed, why is it marked as
essential? If I want to install mawk or another nawk, I ought to be able
to remove gawk since I don't really want to have both installed.

I think it would be nice to have gawk and mawk (and any other nawk) providing
a virtual package nawk (if this is not already done, but it's not the case
on my system with gawk_3.0.0-2 and mawk_1.2.2-1, nor does my (maybe outdated)
virtual packages list mention an nawk package), and other packages would
depend on nawk when needed (or on a really specific gawk/mawk if they do
have special features needed).

Is gawk really essential, or can it be replaced by mawk for all its
actual uses?

Yves.