Re: Pre-CD state

On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I think it's almost time to put 1.1 in "pre-CD" state. This means that it's
> released for normal users given that they get it via FTP, and not yet OK to
> write on a CD. I'd make sure the CD makers know what's going on.

Fine with me - although I'll still make CDs for people as one-offs.

Does the current root disk support being loaded as an initrd? I'm working
on a modification to mkisofs which will allow me to produce bootable CDs
for machines whose BIOSes support this. This should make a no-floppy
installation possible. I expect to have it ready shortly (after my finals,
which end on Thursday).

Steve Early
sde1000@cam.ac.uk
[I've tried to send messages similar to this to debian-private to add to
the thread there, but nothing that I've sent since last Thursday has
appeared. The messages haven't bounced, they have just disappeared. Very
strange.]