Re: Can we have a /etc/debian in base?

>   - the existence of the file could be tested in order to know that we
>     are on a Debian system (config.guess for example could take advantage
>     of this fact);

'dftp' determines this by checking for the existance of /var/lib/dpkg, though
I suppose /usr/bin/dpkg would also be a good choice.

>   - this file could contain useful info like the release of the installed
>     Debian distribution, etc.

I'm not sure off hand if this would be much use.  Since packages can so
easily be upgraded, a single version number probably wouldn't help much.
My system would still say "0.96" even though I don't think there is a
single "stable" package anywhere.

                                        Brian
                               ( bcwhite@verisim.com )