Re: [linux-alert] Serious Security hole in getpwnam ()

From: Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu>
> I patched passwd to preserve the '+::::::' line.  It currently writes
> it back out as '+::0:0:::'.  Mike vS. said that wouldn't be a problem,
> but it might affect this?

I bet that passwd wants to read and re-write that "+::::::" with the
password functions, so you can't have them reject it on formatting grounds.
However, login and su should reject poorly-formatted passwd entries.

> Regarding Incoming, I'm running the dinstall script now.

Wonderful!

> About 1/3 of the uploads are being rejected, mostly for silly reasons.
> I'm just installing those by hand.

I have seen some seriously bogus dchanges formats on the mailing lists
in the last few days. I think for a start everyone should be sure to be
using your latest version of dchanges.

> I'll write a 'How to Upload' document and post it here and in
> doc/package-developer this evening.  After that, I won't install
> any files whose .changes file doesn't pass muster.

OK, thanks.

	Bruce
--
Pixar's Toy Story: Over 1/3 Billion dollars world box office so far.

Bruce Perens AB6YM          Bruce@Pixar.com            http://www.hams.com/