Re: crontab security question

Bruce Perens wrote:
> From: Steve Greenland <stevegr@starbase.neosoft.com>
> >
> > If I understand the problem with commands like
> >
> > 	find /tmp -mtime +1 -print | xargs rm -f
> >
> > correctly, it requires write access to exploit to the directory
> > to exploit.
>
> Only write access to /tmp is necessary. The target directory need not
> be writable.

I seem to be unable to phrase my questions correctly (not helped
by phrases such as "to exploit to the directory to exploit").

My point was that there is a find command that removes old tmp files
in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs directory. Because this directory
is mode 700, owned by root, my belief is that particular find
command is not vulnerable to the attack described earlier.

Would anyone care to confirm or deny?

Steve Greenland
--
The Mole - I think, therefore I scream

			"Where humor is concerned there are no standards --
			 no one can say what is good or bad, although you
			 can be sure that everyone will.
[John Kenneth Galbraith]